Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spring fling

I've got flowers on the brain ... and in my hair ... and on my craft table ... and on my dining room table ....

In mid February, I spied a felt flower in a friend's hair, and the wheels in my brain began turning. "I can make that!" I said aloud. My friend, Sarah, was with me, and also admired our friend's felt adornment -- thus I had even more motivation to figure out how to make these hair pretties...



For Sarah, I hand-cut a few layers of daisies using a pattern I made from a Sizzix die. Silly me did not realize that my Cuttlebug die cutter combined with those particular dies could cut the felt much more quickly and cleanly. Once that realization sunk in, I began churning out petal after petal.

Over the last two months, I've been using felt and any scrap of fabric I can get my hands on to make flowers of various shapes and sizes. I'm totally hooked. And now Sarah's hooked, too. We had a craft day to make flowers together, and thanks to a well timed birthday, Sarah now has her own Cuttlebug and a couple of dies.








(These flowers are attached to hair clips and can be removed from the cards.)



I've been experimenting with hand sewing and have attached some flowers to my new purse...



With the feedback and encouragement I've received, I'm motivated to sell flowers on cards like these in my shop (someday -- don't hold your breath!).



In the meantime, I'm having lots of fun bringing Spring into my house and my hair...

5 comments:

www.AForestFrolic.typepad.com said...

We just made some hair pretties today too, yippee! Love those cards, what a great idea.

Jamie :)

Heidi said...

I AM GOING TO SHOUT THIS ONE FROM THE ROOFTOPS ANDREA! I LOVE EVERYTHING I SEE IN THIS POST. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT.

Okay, just had to express myself in that manner. Oh my, your mom said you were making flowers and such out of fabric and I guess I just couldn't visualize it, but what you have here is so awesome. I love each and every card, single flower, the butterflies, all of it. Way to go Andie!!

Love,
Auntie Heidi

MichellSommerville0202 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
goshery said...

Super cute flowers! Love the fabric flowers. Flower headbands and clips are all the rage so you are right on track!

勝傑懿綺 said...

處順境須謹慎,處逆境要忍耐。........................................