Monday, July 6, 2009

Baby shower gift: keepsake box

For the baby shower for my best friend, Sarah, I was privileged to be able to decorate a keepsake box for her new baby. Our friend, Laura, organized the shower and came up with the idea for the box, which is filled with several smaller boxes...


When Laura gave me the big, undecorated box, I initially intended to cover it with paper -- what could be more natural for me? However, I realized that the sides of the box were larger than 12x12, so using paper would present a challenge. Then I got the inspiration I needed: Sarah loves fabric! I popped into the local fabric store and perused the vintage-style selection. The Dick and Jane squares were a no-brainer -- I knew for a fact that Sarah loves those. I then quickly found some lovely warm-colored floral fabric that coordinated well.





The employees at the fabric store were patient with me and my utter lack of knowledge about fabric. I basically showed them the box and said I wanted to cover it with fabric. They agreed that about a yard should do it, and suggested Aleene's tacky glue instead of hot-melt glue. I'm indebted to them for that helpful suggestion! I'm now crazy about fabric and glue -- I'm just sad that fabric is so much more expensive than paper...


I finished the inside edges with twill tape to give it a clean look. I would have done it on the inside of the lid, too, but I feared that making the lid any thicker would prevent it from sliding onto the box.


Each of the smaller boxes will contain something special commemorating Baby Tilly's birth -- her hospital bracelets, information about the weather on the day she was born, data about the popularity of her name, etc. I stamped the tops of each box to label them and trimmed each lid with different cream ribbons/lace/rick-rack (except for the white hexagonal box, which has tan ribbon).


I couldn't stop with decorating the boxes. I just had to incorporate some paper projects, so I made a little brag book, complete with several photos of Baby Tilly (the shower was held after Sarah's baby was born).


I also made a little book with pocket pages to contain notes of love and encouragement for Baby Tilly. All the shower guests filled out a page, and the book can go in the box for her to read when she gets older.


This book project also afforded me a chance to visit my favorite scrapbook store, which I was saddened to find out will be closing in September. When it closes, we on the Central Coast will be left at the mercy of online outlets and chain stores such as Michaels and Beverly's for our scrapbook needs.



It was a perfect project for me to work on now -- it helped me get excited to have my own baby soon, and it gave me a wonderful idea for a gift to give my children someday. I can't wait to meet our new little one to see which fabric will be perfect for him/her!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Absolutely Perfect- what more can I say? You made me feel so celebrated, and the box is such a perfect keepsake for Tilly (and it's an easy way for me to keep pictures and mementos organized since my brain simply doesn't function in a linear scrapbooking kind of way). Thank you!!!! I can already see myself giving it to her at her own baby shower someday- for her to look through when she is expecting her first child. It will be an heirloom for sure.

Regina said...

What beautiful treasures you have created!
Here's a tip for you... you can use a fusible web to attach fabric to paper. Misty Fuse or Wonder Under are a couple of options. Heat from an iron melts the product which is placed between the fabric and cardboard.
We are anticipating and praying for news of your new sweetheart... xoxo

Casey and Gina said...

Again... Amazing. You are so talented-- this and your sweet heart make for a perfect combination of blessing for everyone you choose to bless!!!