Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sushi party fun

My best friend is throwing a sushi party to celebrate her daughter's second birthday. In fitting with the theme, she had the idea of stamping Asian-inspired art on a couple of tiny T-shirts for the birthday girl's new baby sister. She didn't have time to stamp the shirts herself, so I eagerly volunteered.

As you'll no doubt notice, I had a difficult time stopping myself from covering every inch of the shirts! I used a stiff-bristle brush to paint in some of the stamped images, the first time I've used this technique on cloth...












Like most crafters, I can't pass up an opportunity to create anything and everything fitting with a fun theme. True to form, I created a sushi card for the birthday girl. It took me quite a while to figure out just how to make sushi out of paper. Then I came across some chipboard concentric circles in my stash, and everything fell into place from there. (Again, the colors aren't the greatest -- I finished late last night and simply couldn't wait for daylight to photograph the card!)



I used orange dew drops for the roe...


...and sewed pleats in some orange satin ribbon for the ginger. The green flowers are supposed to represent wasabi.





I made the yellow paper platter by cutting apart two die-cut Stampin' Up 'top note' shaped pieces. The card ended up being too big (roughly 7x7 inches) to be folded into a proper card, so I simply wrote the birthday message on the back. I'm considering offering to attach some of the orange satin ribbon to the top to make it into a wall hanging.

4 comments:

Casey and Gina said...

You are so talented. Creativeness just OOOOZZES out of you!! I love the cute shirts. And the card is making me crave sushi! Mmmmmm sushi...

goshery said...

Those little shirts are so adorable! I can see why you wanted to keep on stamping!

I love the birthday card too - very creative!

willynillywaterlily said...

Amazing! From the stamped shirts to your sushi card -- what a superb job you did! :)

bunzi said...

so very creative and cute! :) love the little outfits.