Saturday, June 27, 2009

Recent projects part 3: crocheted baby booties

A little over a week ago, my nesting urge collided with my craft urge -- I woke up one morning obsessed with the idea of crocheting my own baby booties. I've never done anything like this before. I've crocheted hats, blankets, scarves, decorative edges, granny squares ... but never a bootie. What's more, I had to do this without using a pattern. For some reason, I felt that a pattern would hamper my impulsive urge to make these little shoes.

I made two prototypes with increasing success. I ran out of the brown yarn, so the next ones I'll make will be in a yummy orange-and-cream yarn of the same weight. I was fortunate enough to be able to use my best friend's newborn as a foot model...

Recent projects part 2: birthday bouquet

For my friend, Beth, I made a vibrant bouquet of paper flowers to adorn her birthday package. I discovered these lovely summer papers in my stash the other day and couldn't resist their happy charm... I've also been collecting orange ribbon lately, and just had to use some (most of which came from the dollar bin at Michaels).

Recent projects part 1: true love wedding card

With 99% of my nesting projects finished, I've returned to crafting.

My friend who commissioned the wedding scrapbook also asked for a wedding card for her daughter. I was all too happy to create something different, as Diane asked for a whimsical card. I used "The Princess Bride" as inspiration, since I learned that the engaged couple are also fans of the movie.

Cutting the window with the vines and leaves took some trial and error -- fortunately I had a 12x12 sheet of the printed paper to work with.

The inside of the card -- this is the first time I've used the computer to print on cardstock for the inside of a card. I am happy with the results, though I used two sheets of paper through trial and error before getting it right.

Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sushi party fun

My best friend is throwing a sushi party to celebrate her daughter's second birthday. In fitting with the theme, she had the idea of stamping Asian-inspired art on a couple of tiny T-shirts for the birthday girl's new baby sister. She didn't have time to stamp the shirts herself, so I eagerly volunteered.

As you'll no doubt notice, I had a difficult time stopping myself from covering every inch of the shirts! I used a stiff-bristle brush to paint in some of the stamped images, the first time I've used this technique on cloth...

Like most crafters, I can't pass up an opportunity to create anything and everything fitting with a fun theme. True to form, I created a sushi card for the birthday girl. It took me quite a while to figure out just how to make sushi out of paper. Then I came across some chipboard concentric circles in my stash, and everything fell into place from there. (Again, the colors aren't the greatest -- I finished late last night and simply couldn't wait for daylight to photograph the card!)

I used orange dew drops for the roe...

...and sewed pleats in some orange satin ribbon for the ginger. The green flowers are supposed to represent wasabi.

I made the yellow paper platter by cutting apart two die-cut Stampin' Up 'top note' shaped pieces. The card ended up being too big (roughly 7x7 inches) to be folded into a proper card, so I simply wrote the birthday message on the back. I'm considering offering to attach some of the orange satin ribbon to the top to make it into a wall hanging.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Scrapbook wedding gift

My friend, Diane, approached me a couple of months ago and asked if I'd be willing to put together a scrapbook/storybook chronicling her daughter's life, to be given as a wedding present at the end of June.

It was a first for me, and I jumped at the opportunity. She was eager to pay me for my time and to pay for the supplies. She also chose all the photos and wrote the story--I had the pleasure of choosing the papers and putting it all together. I also got to select fonts for Diane to choose from and come up with some fun ideas to fit her vision of a children's storybook/scrapbook. Here are some highlights from the project.

Most of the pages were straightforward, but some required some Internet searching for maps and other images, and some required some photography of my own. Thanks to Google Maps, I was able to find a photograph of the building Diane lived in when her daughter was little, something that was missing from her own photo archives.

I borrowed some books from friends to complete the list of books Diane suggested for this page. I lined them up and took a photo and cut them out to customize this page. It's my favorite page from this project.

Monopoly, soccer, cards, and Scrabble were some of Diane's suggestions for this page, for which there were no photos. I had an impossible time finding the Jolee's Monopoly embellishments that I could have sworn existed in every scrapbook store. Apparently I was remembering something I'd seen a few years ago, as they no longer exist. I tried bidding on a set on eBay, but got outbid. So, instead, I created a segment of my own Monopoly board out of good old-fashioned paper and pens. I also ordered some real Monoply money and game cards from an Etsy seller, but they didn't show up in time for this page.

The 42-page book took me 27 hours of work, just a little more than my 20-hour estimate. It was an honor to help Diane create a one-of-a-kind treasure to give her daughter. I also created an 8x8 version, as a surprise for Diane, by color-copying all the pages. She deserves to keep a copy for herself!

Now I'm primed to start creating my own scrapbooks!