Monday, March 16, 2009

Garden inspiration

I've been thoroughly enjoying some of my newest craft supplies, including several flower and nature stamp sets, new colors and prints of papers, and a butterfly die for my Cuttlebug (a die-cutter machine thingy). Plus, our lovely weather (sunny, high 60s) has inspired me to create spring-colored cards.

The owl card and the garden squares with butterfly card will be in my Etsy shop soon, while the poppies card is a one-of-a-kind.


I made this card as a thank you for my dad after he weed-whacked our backyard this weekend. Our yard had weeds about as tall as I've depicted in the card. Among the waist-high greenness stood several bunches of vibrant poppies...



I had fun stamping and coloring on the vellum -- I stamped on both sides so I could get the poppies to face both directions.



The inside of the card shows an "after" depiction of our backyard. My dad was skilled enough and patient enough to leave most of the poppies standing.







This little owl just makes me smile!








I got the idea for this card from a recent "Paper Crafts" magazine. I love the crispness of the black borders (though they're kind of a pain to make and assemble).

6 comments:

goshery said...

Very cute cards Andrea! The owl one is so adorable - the colors are great. The one with the squares looks like lots of work but well wroth it. I'm sure your dad will love the poppy card - what a ton of work! You have been busy!

Jen Smith said...

Oh, I love them all...do you have the two square punches? All the squares for the polka dot card I did like that one were measured cut by hand. OI! that took time.

Andrea Rooks said...

I wish I had two square punches -- that would have saved some time. I just cut strips of paper and then cut those into squares...

mushroommeadows said...

I love how it's three dimensional! BEAUTIFUL!

Joy said...

I'm trying to make a somewhat duplicate of the top card with the grass. I'm assuming you cut the grass freehand. I cut mine that way. I don't have vellum, I may stop at Hobby Lobby tomorrow and pick some up. I love that card and I have that stamp set. It looks so "springy" they way you made it.

Joy

willynillywaterlily said...

My goodness, I never really thought of card making as an art form, but you're really taken the craft to a whole other level. So beautiful!