Wednesday, November 5, 2008

New trick

I recently learned how to use a setting on my digital camera to help improve the colors in my card photos. A professional photographer told me about the "custom white balance" setting, which allows the user to tell the camera what white should look like in the current lighting. This is particularly handy for me because I've been relying on the indirect lighting in my dining room for my Etsy photos, but the light is changing with the seasons. I've noticed that my photos look a little dim at times and some light blues are the most difficult to capture....

Observe the difference between the automatic setting on my camera ("before") and the custom white-balance setting ("after"):

Before


After


The colors look less washed out in the second photo -- hurray! The only problem is that I now want to go back and re-photograph all my cards in my store. Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don't have that kind of time!

(The box in this post is the gift set that I plan to upload to Etsy today or tomorrow -- eight mini cards with eight polka-dot envelopes and eight gift tags -- made with one of my newest stamp sets.)

2 comments:

Regina said...

So cool, Andrea. I just tried playing with the WB the last time I was shooting jewelry & it did help with some of my shots.
Your designs always looks so professional & now they will shine! xo

bunzi said...

so pretty!