Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mobile -- little girl clothes

A while ago, some friends of ours sent us a beautiful mobile constructed of delicate wire, thread, and paper. As soon as we hung it in our daughter's room, we were all entranced by the way the air currents gently moved the paper -- it's like watching clouds move across the sky.

Some of our friends found the mobile equally fascinating, but had difficulty getting their hands on one -- ours had come directly from Denmark, where simple, modern mobiles are apparently all the rage. When our friends' daughter's first birthday rolled around, I decided that a mobile would be the perfect gift, so I tried my hand at making one. I knew I'd kick myself if I didn't make one for myself/my daughter, so I made two nearly identical mobiles at the same time.










The mobiles were a team effort -- my mom gave me the wire and tools; my friend gave me the paper (not knowing what I was going to use it for); and my husband helped me balance the mobiles and gave me pointers on their design. I then took pains to package the mobile so it could be wrapped and then safely transported.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

The mobile turned out awesome!

Jim and Amanda said...

So cute. If I had a little girl I would copy it to the tee. Or at least try. This blog is inspiring.

Regina said...

This is SO sweet! I think mobiles can be very relaxing to watch. I made one with origami butterflies suspended from bamboo sticks when I was a teen. Hmmm... Maybe I'll have to try something like that again.

Ryan said...

We took down a blue star we had hanging from the ceiling in "Hattie's" room (it's actually a guest bedroom until she's big enough to move in) and hung up the mobile. She was immediately fascinated. Thank you for the beautiful gift!